Avon Lipsticks: Hit or Miss?

Mum has a tendency to buy me little presents and forget about them. Last week it was some film for my polaroid, this time, it was a little set of Avon lipsticks.

ACS-0054

The Avon True Colour Lipstick Wardrobe comes with four lipsticks, Au Naturale, Pure Pink, Red Supreme, Superb Wine.

ACS-0046

ACS-0049

I really like the shades and feel like a nude, pink, red and purple provide a colour for any occasion.

I was told that these lippys are meant to be a dupe for MAC, however, I don’t see it myself. The MAC lip products are quite firm and matte. There is a bit of drag when applying MAC lipsticks but that’s what offers you control. The Avon lipsticks are much softer and creamier, gliding on quickly. They feel lovely on, but it’s difficult to get a clean line like you can with MAC.

ACS-0056ACS-0055

The Avon lipsticks give a satin finish, which I don’t usually opt for, but it’s not too shimmery. It’s more like a demi-matte, but still extremely creamy and moisturising.

ACS-0052ACS-0050

In terms of swatches, I think the lighter colours are true to shade, but the red and purple don’t give off the same colour as they look. The red is a much more hot pink kind of colour, with the purple being a little lighter than its vampy appearance.

ACS-0048

I did the longevity test on the Superb Wine, wearing it out for a gig to see how well it lasted. It survived the gig and still felt mega smooth and creamy. However, it didn’t survive food, which is one of the reasons I often go matte as they tend to survive food.

Overall I think they’re a lovely product and would be perfect to keep in your handbag or wear for work, but they just aren’t up to scratch for a night out and I have other products in my collection that I would reach for before turning to these.

ACS-0051

ACS-0053

That being said, I really like the shade Au Naturale and think it will make a great substitute for my Velvet Teddy lippy when it runs out.

Have you tried any of the Avon products? What did you think of them? Let me know in the comments!

Beff xx

12 Comments

1. March 6, 2018 / 6:57 pm

How cute are these!? I’ve never tried any Avon lipstick before but I really like the look of the shade Au naturale. I love a good peachy lip and I don’t have one in this particular colour. I don’t mind that they don’t last through a full on meal as it’s nice to wear a really comfortable lipstick instead of a drying matte at times. Also I really want cheesy garlic bread pizza now!! xx

• March 6, 2018 / 7:06 pm

yeah this is how i feel about them! they seem really good for day time but not all day/night!

2. March 6, 2018 / 7:05 pm

I haven’t tried Avon for many years, but I might have to now hehe. Lovely post x

3. March 6, 2018 / 7:53 pm

There are some gorgeous shades here, I really like matte mac lipsticks as they do definitely survive food haha! These would make a nice daytime lip though
    Lots of love
    Alicia – http://www.alicia-a-la-mode.com

4. March 6, 2018 / 8:56 pm

I used to own a lipstick from Avon which I absolutely loved! But that was borrowed from my Mums make up bag haha!
    These shades are gorgeous, just a shame the red and purple shades dont show the colour that they are in the tube.

Heather xo | http://www.xhighlandbeauty.co.uk

5. March 6, 2018 / 10:16 pm

This is a great little set for those who love nudes and berry shades! Great review and swatches! I also love the packaging x

6. katiemiddleton94
    March 7, 2018 / 10:24 am

These sound fab for me, I think I would definitely like these as I’m enjoying satin finishes at the moment. I’m not a fan of MAC so I would definitely opt for Avon!

Katie x

7. March 8, 2018 / 4:44 pm

Absolutely LOVE the images in this post! I can’t remember the last time I tried anything from Avon, will have to look into these xx

8. March 9, 2018 / 11:24 am

First proper honest review and comparison of these lippies. Love the comparisons with MAC! Defo gonna invest in one of the darker colours

9. March 9, 2018 / 1:49 pm

This was such a exquisitely detailed and beautifully written review! I’ve never tried either brand before, but it’s good to know that MAC lipsticks tend to be stiffer and firmer. I think I would prefer something slightly softer and smoother to slick on, but then again, a firmer lipstick is probably better in terms of staying power x