A Week in the Life of a Blogger

‘Oh you’re a blogger? So you just get to sit at home in your pyjamas all day and write about the free stuff you got?’

ERM. WRONG. Us bloggers are writers, photographers, editors, social media managers to name a few roles. Running a blog is running a business and when you’re doing that alongside a degree and a part time job, well, things get a little hectic.

I thought I’d give you a little run down of what my life looks like in one week. My weeks are not the same every week, some are busier than others, but it will give you an idea of what I get up to BTS.

Alongside my blog, I’m a student, have a part-time job, do photography and music journalism as well as maintaining a social life and relationship.


On Saturday morning I woke up at around 9am and logged straight onto the laptop to give my blog post How to clean and dry your makeup brushes a final proof-read and edit before scheduling it for 10:30. I find 10-11am the best time to post on a Saturday as it’s usually when my readers wake up and it gives me all day to promote it.

At 10:30 when the post went live, I posted it to my personal Facebook, my Facebook page, a blogging group, Twitter, my personal Instagram stories, my blog Instagram stories and my blog Instagram feed.

I then sent out a few messages regarding a post I was putting together for Mother’s Day before getting out my camera equipment.

I spend some time charging the batteries, wiping the memory cards and cleaning the lenses ready for my next shoot which was at 5:30 at BBC Radio Stoke for their Introducing show.

Before I got to the show I scouted Tesco’s reduced section and picked up a cute vase or £2 that would make a good blog prop.


At BBC Stoke I got to photograph some incredible local artists, which is one of my favourite things to do as I shoot a lot of live music. On the show was Pacific, Blazer, Helena Francesca and Colour. I really recommend checking them out. I was there until around 9pm. I nipped to Jakes house for a quick brew (okay, it was two brews) before heading home to edit and upload the images.

I took around 300 photos and edited over 50 of them, which took a couple of hours. It was too late to do anything productive by then, so I set my alarm for the morning and got off to sleep.


On Sundays I work at Boots as a Healthcare Advisor. I took five exams on drugs to be in this role and it’s something I take a lot of pride in. It also means that I am able to scout out bargain beauty deals and bag any clearance makeup products! I work from 10:30-4:30, which means I still have the afternoon to do work too.

I spent Sunday tea-time working on my Magazine Design module by adding to my Magazine Pitch. I’ve been putting a lot of work into this module and I am really enjoying it. I never thought about going into magazine designing but I wouldn’t rule it out. I’ve been designing a Blogger magazine and I have to pitch it to my class.


Jake came and we started to watch How To Get Away With Murder on Netflix, which is amazing btw. He left relatively early though so I used the time to write up an album review for Rebel Bear, of Helena Francesca’s new album, which you’ll be able to read in the next few days.

I finished the day by writing my to-do list for the following five days, This helps me create small and achievable goals to stop me getting stressed out.


I wasn’t in uni until 1pm so I got on with some revision for an upcoming exam on reporting governments. Thrilling… I know. I did this whilst having my morning brew before setting off to uni at 12.

My Monday class is for my Magazine Module. Usually in this class I sit at the back and crack on with some work but this week our tutor decided to do a more interactive session on advertising which took me away from the laptop. It felt a little like wasted time, but I made up for it when I got home by designing another three pages.

From uni I headed into town to pick Phoebe a new toy up from Hounds because she’s not well at the minute and needed cheering up. I also snatched up the opportunity to go to my fave vintage shop Sparrowhawk to nosey at their new stock.


I then published my 50 facts about me blog post and did the same promo malarkey with Facebook, Insta and Twitter. I recently joined a comment pod, so I posted it in there too and made some comments on other peoples blogs. What I love about pods is that the people in them are usually people you hadn’t heard of before so it provides you with more content to read, more inspiration and more blogging friends!

Jake then popped round for a few hours to watch The Walking Dead. Perfect end to a Monday.


I was in uni at 10:30am until 2:30am, and in that time managed to edit 4/5 magazine pages, revise for government and attend a court law class, squeezing in a granola bowl somewhere in between.

I picked my desk up from Mel and Jade’s as Jade kindly picked it up from ikea for me! I’m super excited to get this set up and in the office so I have a nice little workspace.

One thing I haven’t done in a while is emails, so I sent out some emails to brands that I’m hoping to collaborate with, which took about half an hour as I was procrastinating. I also emailed some work to a tutor for an opinion and sent some queries out to another tutor.

I posted another blog post, this time, a review on some Avon lipsticks. Promoted it and commented on some more blogs out of the pod.


I designed some adverts for my magazine, including ones for CultBeauty, Strathberry and Olympus which I’m mega proud of.

This week, I am my courses digital editor for our online news outlet, so I spend an hour proof-reading stories and sending them back with feedback or publishing them. This is a role I really enjoy doing and editing is something I could see myself doing in the future.

Finally, I typed up this blog post up until this point and then decided I really need to wind down so stuck How To Get Away With Murder on.


Wednesday’s are my day off from uni, so I do try to relax a little more. I had a lie-in and got up at 10am, popped Jeremy Kyle on and had a cup of tea whilst I replied to some emails regarding the blog.

At about 11:30 I ran myself a bath and just chilled out for half an hour.

Whilst I was waiting for my hair to air dry a little, I photographed two blog posts worth of photos before drying my hair properly.

After drying my hair I filmed a makeup tutorial which took around an hour all in all. By this point it was 2pm and I logged onto the laptop to edit some blog posts.


At around 2:30 I went down to visit my Nan, nipping into Sainsbury’s to buy her some chocolate and grab myself some flowers. I had a cup of tea and a chat with her like I do most weeks, as she gets quite lonely these days since my granddad passed.

Back home, I posted my #shopindie blog post for Mother’s Day and shared it around. I also picked up a copy of Cosmopolitan at Sainsbury’s so had a flick through that with a brew. Have you noticed I drink a lot of tea? I made myself another brew ready to start editing the video and photos I shot earlier.


Thursday morning I was up super early and at the train station ready to go to Crewe to attend an inquest. This was my first time in court and it was a major story as it involved a 13-year-old who committed suicide. It was a challenge to do it all on my own but I’m glad I threw myself in at the deep end because now I know nothing will be as hard as that. I was there for a total of five hours and it was an incredibly lengthy and detailed process.

I got home around 3:30 and typed up the story and got my editor to check it over and publish it. If you’d like, you can read it here, but there may be some content that some readers find disturbing.

I was in a major rush to then get ready for my next job – gig time. Sheffield band Sheafs were playing at The Underground and I was reviewing, photographing and (secretly) filming the gig. I had a lovely night with my girl Leah and I got home just before midnight and literally fell straight asleep.



On Fridays, at uni, we have Newsday. This means we imitate a real working environment, publishing news stories, doing radio bulletins and TV bulletins. As I mentioned earlier, this particular week I was digital editor and spent the day proof-reading stories and giving people feedback.

Since I wasn’t working on a story myself, I took the opportunity to get on with some photo editing. I also put together this little video of the gig the night previous.

Back home at 5pm after a long day at uni, I watermarked my images and uploaded them before attempting to start the gig review. Jake surprised me and turned up baring gifts of Dr Pepper and Bacon Fries and that finished off my Friday quite nicely.






13 Comments Add yours

  1. maxslook says:

    Wow I love this article! Your so down to earth. Running a blog alongside full time work and life is hectic! Loving your blog, I’ve followed your blog would love if you could check mine out ❤️


  2. adelaise says:

    Running a blog is hard work! Almost like having a full time job on top of my full time job. Luckily I love it!


  3. katiemiddleton94 says:

    I love this post. People seem to think that bloggers just get ‘free stuff’ and that’s that. They don’t realise how much work and time go into it all! Also – I have the same pink and white vase, we got good taste haha.

    Katie x


  4. B says:

    I love reading posts like this and finding out more about the person behind the blog! It bugs me so much that people think blogging is easy and we just sit around all day. Your days are clearly filled with so many different things and juggling them all and still having a social life is not easy! I also really like your magazine designs. I’ve never thought about who designs all the stuff you see in glossy mags but it’s so interesting to see how you’re putting stuff together for your module. xx


  5. Jess says:

    Wow , thank you for this post. It’s so true, we are always super busy and don’t get a break x


  6. Loved reading this! As a full time blogger my life looks very different to how people thing. People assume we sit at home chilling and casually throwing together photos and posts in a few minutes and enjoying all these opportunities….truth is I spend 12 hours a day working, editing, photographing, admin…it’s tough. And not for the faint hearted! x


  7. Alicia says:

    I really enjoyed reading this post, I’d love to recreate my own. You really are super busy and it must get so annoying with the typical ‘bloggers sit at home all day’ comment.
    Lots of love
    Alicia Xo


  8. Wow, you have such a busy week! And yes, people just seem to think we just sit there, get free stuff and write but thats not the case. I work 3 nights a week, have 2 kids, house to run, fiancee to keep happy along with everything else and its far from just sitting on my butt!
    Love this post.

    Heather xo || http://www.xhighlandbeauty.co.uk


  9. Rosie says:

    You have no idea how much I am living for this post right now!! A veil lifted on all the million and one things us bloggers to just to work our butts off and blog! Love that you’ve got such a busy and heaped up plate like me too!


  10. Such a great post, I went into blogging as a hobby but then realised just how much hard work and time in the day it takes 😂 x


  11. Nobody realises how much work goes into blogging, it’s so rewarding but it’s so hard too! xx

    Gemma • Gemma Etc . ❤️


  12. Jade Mayhead says:

    I love reading things like this! I struggle so much with the extra work Blogging provides for me, forgetting everyone else does too! You’re doing amazing girl💪🏻xo


  13. I loved this! Everyone seems to think blogging is so easy and don’t seem to have any idea what it actually entails lol! x



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s